Saturday, December 4, 2010

Buenos Aires





I have now been in Buenos Aires for several days. Mainly I have been walking around exploring the different neighborhoods. I met up one evening with Ian (from Antarctica trip) and two of his friends from Germany. We went and had very good steaks (I have had many good steaks in meat-happy Buenos Aires). We had a plan to go see some tango dancing at a place recommended by our travel writer friends (also from Antarctica trip). They had recommended one of the tango clubs (with regular folks dancing) rather than one of the shows (with alleged professionals) but alas, the club that they recommended was not hosting an event that evening. We did peek in at another club near where I am staying. It was a beautiful old cafe downstairs and an equally lovely old dance hall upstairs but when we went up to investigate we saw about 4 senior citizens dancing and about 6 or 7 people watching so we moved on. Eventually we were reduced to going to a touristy bar with a tango show that was rather cheesy and tourist oriented. We stayed a bit and then moved on to have drinks elsewhere. The following morning I got up and met the group at the Teatro de Colon which is reported to be a beautiful theatre but due to renovations we were unable to take a tour. So, we spent the morning at some of the lovely old cafés in Buenos Aires, and well, I guess, the afternoon too until it was time for Ian and crowd to take off for the airport. I then went to the Recoleta area, the rather upscale part of Buenos Aires and visited the Art Museum. It was a really great collection with lots of paintings by European artists as well as Argentine. I then visited the Recoleta Cemetary with its very elaborate mausoleums.
This morning I visited the Palermo area that had a lot of cool shops and restaurants. I had another steak lunch ane then took the subway back to the center. I had not been on this particular subway line before and it was really something. The subway cars were quite old, and nice looking...all wood seats, walls, etc. It looked like a street car out of the twenties. An elderly couple chatted with me at the station and the whole way to my subway stop warning me to be careful on the subway. They were quite kind.
Tomorrow is my last full day and I plan to visit a big outdoor market across town. Monday morning I will go to the airport for my flight home. Once home, I will try to add some pictures (interest) to this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, this is Jen Heywood. Jan R. gave me the link to your blog. I skimmed through it and was glad I did. LOVED your pictures--Antarctica looks unbelievable! I happened to read the 'blue leg' story too. Funny stuff. You should write a memoir. I guess that's what a blog is, but you know what I mean. :)
    Hope this year off is everything you hope for!

    ReplyDelete