Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Antarctica: To go or not to go

Sang Kyoung and I spent her last night back in the town of Puerto Natales. As it was a Monday, the cargo ship had docked and I ran into some of the crew about town. At dinner, Enzo, one of the "pilots" joined us along with Luis, chief of the engine room. The new captain was there as well. It was fun but we were struggling to enjoy it as our freshly laundered clothes were taking on a strong, cigarette smoke odor. It was like living in Spain again. We then went to a bar for drinks with crew members Mauricio (maintanence) and Marcelo (Tour Leader/guide). It was good as Marcelo speaks English well and could talk to Sang Kyoung who, apart from saying, "hola,agua,gracias" really does not speak Spanish. We also ran into the Australians that we´d met at Torres. The following morning we took the bus down to Punta Arenas, on the Strait of Magellen. The bus ticket collecter seemed happy to see us, kept gesturing, smiling, etc. When the bus dropped Sang Kyoung at the airport and I continued on, he gestured that I would be crying (which, I must confess, I did do later). We assumed that he used all these gestures in lieu of talking as he knew we were foreign and assumed we wouldn´t understand but, after Sang Kyoung left, I realized it was because he was deaf. He sat next to me on the bus for the remaining 15 minutes of my trip and was very kind. Communication was tought but I believe we verified that I was married with no children, that we have two cars, that I was sad that my friend left on an airplane and that he also had a car and may or may not have been sad and/or tired.
I kind of drifted around Punta Arenas ( a not entirely charming town) a bit and felt very lonesome. I ran into a young American couple that we had met at Torres del Paine and walked up to the lookout point with them but other than that, did very little.
Antarctica: Brian has been, and like everyone else who has been, says it is quite amazing. I am so close to Ushuaia (where the cruises leave for Antarctica)that if I ever did want to go, this would likely be the best time. I´m having trouble deciding. It is quite expensive but, as frugal as I am, it isn´t the expense so much, but the thought of being on a boat for 11 days. I´m not sure if I could do it. I´m not that keen on boats. The crossing of the Drake Passage over to Antarctica is rumored to be really rough and I´m not sure if I really want to entertain the idea of paying to be sick but ... In any case, I have to figure it out pretty soon and either commit to a trip or not.
In either case, I will leave Chile tomorrow for Argentina...I´ll still be in Patagonia but on the Argentine side. I´ll visit the reportedly very impressive Perito Moreno Glacier and do some short day hikes in the Fitz Roy range. I hope the weather holds.
Now I´m off to see the allegedly "fascinating" cemetery here in Punta Arenas. Feel free to weigh in on the Antarctica question.

4 comments:

  1. Go, go, go! I live firmly by the idea that you will regret the things you don't do more than the things you do. It may be awful on the boat, but I would bet it is totally worth it at the end. Years from now, if you don't go, you'll be kicking yourself.

    Plus, how can I live vicariously through you if you don't keep going on new adventures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jenny. Please go! And send a postcard! Or bring one. Maybe get some good books for the boat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm among the legions of commenters who have actually BEEN trapped on a boat, miserable, throwing up and dry heaving over the side ...surrounded by water as far as I could see, hoping I would just die soon. But, I did lose 22 lbs. in 2 months, so, there's that. Kind of like the Brule, only with weight loss instead of weight gain. And I saw some stunning views. I'm glad I did those things when I was young, so I'd never have to do it again. I think it's great that you're doing this at your age. Perhaps you can have a shot of tequila and an ice cold beer and decide. Either way, glad you met up with sang kyoung and sorry that you were lonesome enough afterward to actually talk to Americans...enjoy Argentina and keep posting all those great pics! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go, Potts! What else is there to do in South America?
    Oh, DS is cooking shrimp scampi and proclaimed if he were 100% Italian he would shave the garlic. Because he is 75% he is mincing it. I thought you would appreciate his foible.

    ReplyDelete