Saturday, October 30, 2010

More Amazing Scenery





I took a 2-3 hour bus ride up to the tiny tourist town of El Chaltén at the North entrance of the Glacier National Park. Today was the best weather to date. Perfectly clear, blue sky with lots of sun. The drive around the lake with the mountains in the back was incredible. I was going to go on a short walk but did abotu a 5 1/2 hour hike in order to see one of the more scenic areas that is usually shrouded in clouds...it was so clear...again beautiful spiky mountain, snow covered mountains, glacier, glacial lake (I even picked up a chunk of the glacial ice and had a gnaw on it). It´s so beautiful. The Austrians gave me some really good tips on which trails to walk, where to stay, etc. I half expected to run into some of the Torres del Paine crowd here but have not thusfar. I will stay here for the next couple of days and do some more hikes. It will be great, especially if the weather holds. The views are somewhat similar to Torres del Paine, across the border, but not quite as dramatic. The trail today was thankfully, flatter, and less muddy than at Torres.
I am gearing up for the Antarctica trip...by this I mean, I´m getting excited, I´m not actually making any preparations although I will be sure to get some sea sick tablets. The travel agency in Ushuaia will provide a parka, boots, etc. I´m thinking of actually flying down there in order to avoid overpriced 19 hour bus trip including annoying re-entry and exit into Chile with long waits at the border.
Things are grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment